Sherman Toppin is a seasoned attorney with over 20 years of legal experience and is seeking a judicial seat on the Court of Common Pleas in Philadelphia County. During his career, Mr. Toppin has represented clients in courts with matters emerging from over 10 areas of law, which include: Civil Litigation, Real Estate, Social Security Disability, Personal Injury, Traffic, Bankruptcy, Workers' Compensation, Criminal, Estate & Probate and Family Law. Currently, Mr. Toppin owns and manages a boutique law firm and real estate brokerage in Philadelphia, PA.
Mr. Toppin received an academic scholarship to attend the University of Virginia, where he earned his Bachelor of Arts degree. Afterwards, Mr. Toppin graduated from the College of William & Mary School of Law, where he received his Juris Doctor degree. Currently, Mr. Toppin is admitted to the bars of Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and can represent clients in both state and federal courts in these jurisdictions.
In academia, Toppin is currently a member of the Adjunct Faculty at Temple University Real Estate Institute, where he teaches Real Estate Law and licensure courses for brokers and agents. Previously, Mr. Toppin taught Business Law to undergraduates at Strayer University. Mr. Toppin is a regular Faculty presenter with the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, where he teaches lawyers various subjects for Continuing Legal Education credits.
Mr. Toppin has a proven record of non-profit and government related community service work. In 2010, he was a member of the Philadelphia Bar Association’s Committee for Judicial Selection and Retention. In 2011, he was a Commissioner for the City of Philadelphia Zoning Code Commission. From 2010-2012, he served as a member of the Trustee Board at Enon Tabernacle Baptist Church. Also, from 2014-2016, Mr. Toppin was member of the Board of Directors of Mt. Airy USA, a community development non-profit organization. Mr. Toppin believes in devoting his expertise and time towards worthy causes and organizations that help people in the community.
In the media, Mr. Toppin has appeared on episodes of HGTV’s show “Bang for your Buck” as a Real Estate Expert, providing property valuation data and marketing expertise. Mr. Toppin is often invited by local radio personalities to speak on real estate issues and forecast market trends.
In 2010, Mr. Toppin demonstrated his leadership among his peers when he was elected the 60th President of the Barristers’ Association of Philadelphia, an affiliate organization of the National Bar Association, by practicing attorneys in the region.
Most recently, Mr. Toppin has authored a book titled, Finishing on Top, a motivational writing to help people achieve their personal best through the power of finishing.
Mr. Toppin lives in East Mt. Airy with his children Chandler and Estelle Grace. Mr. Toppin is engaged to be married in Summer 2019.
Memberships and Organizations
- Past President, Barristers’ Association of Philadelphia
- Former Board Member, Mt. Airy USA
- Faculty Presenter, Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- Adjunct Faculty, Temple University Real Estate Institute
- Former Trustee, Enon Tabernacle Baptist Church
- Former Trustee, Impacting Your World Christian Center
- Former Commission, Philadelphia Zoning Code Commission
- Former Member, Philadelphia Bar Association Committee for Judicial Selection and Retention
- Former Sequestrator, City of Philadelphia Revenue Department
- University of Virginia Alumni Association
- College of William & Mary School of Law Alumni Association
- Former Community Board Member, Head Start Learning Tree
- Former Adjunct Faculty, Strayer University
- Former Judge, Temple LEAP Moot Court Competition